summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, October 17, 2013

What a crock-pot

When I was in grad school, Dad bought me a crock-pot.  I practically lived out of the thing for a solid year.  I could stuff it full of whatever (he also gave me a slow-cooker cookbook), have dinner when I got back from a very long day of classes, and live off the leftovers for the rest of the week (I usually had a sandwich for lunch).  That thing was the start of me really cooking on my own, but I didn't get to this recipe until I was in Oregon (maybe because it was from a completely different cookbook).  Too bad--it's a good one.

Spicy Chicken in Peanut Sauce
disclaimer: not that spicy, nor that peanut-y
1 T olive oil
8 large chicken thighs (about 3 lbs), skin removed.  Bones optional.
1 C chopped onion
2x 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1x 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained (I can't always find this.  Stewed tomatoes also work.  So will diced.  Odds are good that nobody eating it will know exactly what the texture should be, so they won't know if you fudged it a little, either)
2 T honey (like I'd stop at 2 T of honey!  HA!)
1 1/2 t cumin
1 t cinnamon
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (I won't even buy creamy peanut butter.  I get the kind that says "extra crunchy," or if it's available, "big damn jar of peanuts with a little peanut butter to fill in the gaps.")
2 cups hot cooked couscous


  • heat oil in a 12" skillet.  Cast iron if you have it, because if you had it, why wouldn't you use it?  Cook the chicken thighs in the oil, turning once, until brown.  About 4 minutes.  DO NOT move the chicken around while you wait for it to cook.  Let it sit there, soaking in heat and crisping a little, until you turn it.  Turning it and removing it from the skillet should be the only times you bother it at all.
You can't beat a hot set of thighs.
  • Mix everything except the peanut butter, couscous, and chicken in a slow cooker.  The couscous shouldn't be a problem, because it takes five minutes to cook, and you won't need it until you're ready to eat, HOURS from now.  Add the chicken.  Stir it in a little to make sure the chicken thighs are submerged--or at least covered--in sauce.
  • Cover and cook on Low 7-8 hours.  Leave the room often so you can come back in and smell dinner.  It's one of the best features of a crock-pot.
This is exactly 1/3 C of peanut butter.
  • Stir in peanut butter until melted and blended.  Serve over couscous (did you remember to cook it?  No?  That's ok, it only takes five minutes!  It will take longer than that for the chicken to cool enough to not burn you when you try to eat!).  I like to top it with some salted, dry-roasted peanuts.  Let people add their own.  It makes them feel like they have some measure of control over dinner.  They do not; you rule this kitchen!!
By now, the bones just flop out of their meat blankets.  Just add couscous!  And peanuts.  And maybe a salad?  Or pitas?  Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment