summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Just ribbin' ya

You know what's handy about slow-cooker recipes?  They take hours to cook, but there's a lot of wiggle room, so they're handy for when out-of-state visitors are coming, and you don't know exactly when they'll arrive.  When Dad and The Lady came to visit us this summer, I made these ribs for dinner the night they arrived, because it really didn't matter if they showed up right on time or an hour late--dinner would be waiting for them.  I also made some cornbread (in the picture) and a pineapple upside down cake (a post for another time), and managed to time them both to come out of the oven as our guests came up the stairs to our apartment, but that's just because I'm fantastic.

Caribbean Spiced Ribs
3 lb pork loin back ribs
2 T dried minced onion
1 t ground mustard
1 t crushed red pepper (you can use paprika here; I just used red pepper flakes)
1/2 t ground allspice
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t garlic powder (or a small clove, minced)
1 medium onion, sliced (I think I used about half an onion.  The onions we buy are always much larger than the recipes suggest.  One large onion, chopped, is NOT one cup.  More like three.)
1/2 C water
1 1/2 C barbecue sauce

This was only the second time I'd made this recipe.  The first time, we really liked it, but I kept thinking it was a stretch to call them Caribbean ribs.  On what grounds, Ms. Crocker?  Because there are pigs in the Caribbean?  Because there are onions?  Weak sauce.  I decided that they needed some pineapple, at the very least, which is why they happened on the same night as my favorite cake (it turned out better than ever before--I can't believe I forgot to get a picture).  I'll explain how below.  I also considered using rum instead of the water, but I didn't.  Mainly because we didn't have any.

  1. Betty says to spray the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray.  I don't use it, so I didn't do that.  It didn't seem to matter.
  2. Combine the dried onion and spices in a small bowl.  Rub the mix into both sides of the ribs.  Cut the ribs in 4" sections.  Layer ribs and sliced onion (and pineapple!) in the slow cooker.  Betty says to pour the water over the ribs, but I think that washes too much seasoning off them.  Pour it down the inside of the crock.
  3. Cover and cook on Low 8-9 hours.  Remember the Crock Pot Rule: leave often so you can return to smell dinner cooking.  Good stuff, right??
  4. Remove ribs from cooker to a large bowl.  Drain liquid from cooker and discard (or pour it over the kibble of a very lucky dog).  Coat ribs in barbecue sauce and return to cooker with any excess sauce.  Cover and cook on Low 1 hour.
Did I mention I found blue cornmeal at the store?  It makes blue cornbread!  How great is that?!  Food in weird colors is EXCELLENT!

No comments:

Post a Comment