summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Pear Ginger Cookies

When I was in college and newspapers were still a thing, my college had a deal where certain newspapers magically appeared in the dorms each morning, and we could get them for free.  I wasn't very good about keeping up on all the current local and global events, but I was much better about doing the crossword and reading the comics.  I had enough on my plate without getting into politics and foreign policy.  I needed diversion, not news.

After college, I never got newspapers on a regular basis, and started reading more webcomics.  A couple years ago, one of them mentioned pear-ginger cookies, but the artist admitted that she didn't even know if that was a real thing.  Silly cartoonist.  Everything is on the internet.  I found a recipe I liked within minutes, and tried it a couple days later.


I might be in love with the recipe.  I have a book full of chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I can't argue with a classic like that; I have deep historical emotional ties to snickerdoodles and gingersnaps; but these cookies are soft and chewy and flavorful, and packed with lots of different textures and tastes.  Topped with the lemon icing, they're even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment