summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The right way to make sour cream cookies

The Chief Taster (and one of her co-workers) make fun of me for the notes I left myself in my chocolate chip cookie compendium.  Generally they are either remarks on the quality of results, or process notes.  Page 80, Mocha Dreams, has both: "12-14-12 use hand to mix. very good."  I also like to write the date of when I first made them, so I can track whether it's something I've already posted, in case I do something silly, like start a food blog.

They both got a kick out of page 44, Big-Batch Cookies, whose recipe recommends greasing the cookie sheets.  ("no need to grease my sheets"), but my personal favorite margin comment is on page 73, Honey Chocolate Chip Cookies ("These cookies make me sad.").

Page 77 ("Bad") was a finalist in the cookie competition which spawned the book, but I prefer the other sour cream recipe, found on page 78 ("GREAT!").  In fact, I originally started leaving myself notes in this book specifically to make sure that when I made sour cream chocolate chip cookies, I always used the second recipe, not the one which the judges found to be superior.  Perhaps they got to these entries after the section which involved alcohol-based cookie recipes?

Tricia's Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
2-2.5 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
dash of salt
3/4 C plus 2 T sugar
1/2 C butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 C sour cream
1 t vanilla (do you still measure vanilla?  I can't remember the last time I did.  I just like to dump it in until I feel happy)
2 C chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. Cream sugar and butter in large bowl.  (Cream is a verb here--be aware)  Add egg, mix well.  Add sour cream, stirring to remove any lumps.  This should be very homogeneous.  Add vanilla.  Add 1 C flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add remaining flour gradually, "until semi-firm but smooth consistency is obtained."  If you've made chocolate chip cookies before, you'll have  a good idea of what you want, but if this is new for you, you'll have to wing it.  You don't want the dough too thick and dry, but you don't want it runny and wet, either.  Unlike many cookie recipes, this dough won't easily form cohesive balls--it's a little too sticky for that.  But you can spoon it out to make the cookies.  If you're not sure if you have enough, you can try baking a few, and add more flour later.  It's just easiest to get it mixed well before the chips are added.
  3. Add the chocolate chips.  Mix well.
  4. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet (this is another recipe that recommends greasing the sheets--I recommend parchment paper.  Do what you will.).  Bake 12-15 minutes.  Keep in mind that these cookies won't brown like most chocolate chip cookies.  They just get a little golden tan at the base and edges.  Don't leave them in too long.

The resulting cookies are very soft; someone once described them as "so fluffy!" but her mouth was full of cookie at the time, so maybe she actually said something else.  Sofa Fleas?  Maybe, but that didn't fit the context.

No comments:

Post a Comment