summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Strawberry rhubarb coffee cake

We visited the Chief Taster's parents earlier last spring, while rhubarb was in season.  Her dad, who once infamously snitched the last two pieces of Thanksgiving pie while nobody was looking, had some rhubarb cut fresh from his garden (which is vast).  While I was in another room, I overheard him tell everyone else, "I have some rhubarb and fresh strawberries, so if Ryan wanted to, he could make me a pie!"  I almost laughed hard enough to spray my toothpaste out of my nose.  I told him such a feat was possible, but we would need a recipe.  The Chief Taster's mom (who missed out on pumpkin pie the previous Thanksgiving when someone filched the last piece she had saved) threw herself into the task, but we got distracted by the allure of strawberry rhubarb coffee cake (scroll down for the variation recipe).  I volunteered to make it for breakfast the next day.

fruit and sugar, bubbling away on the stove.
My only real mistake was not spending more time familiarizing myself with the recipe and hidden location of kitchen items the night before; breakfast was a little later than we wanted.  Plus, some idiot had to keep stopping his work to take silly pictures.

Batter, then fruit goo, then the rest of the batter.  The last bit of batter won't spread well over the fruit goo, so try to glop it out evenly, because it's not going anywhere.
Eventually, we got to eat breakfast.  It was pretty good.  The Chief Taster's dad even served himself a second piece before finishing his first helping.  I take that as a good sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment