summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, August 15, 2013

adobo a go-go

This post is going to be light on content, but don't worry--next week is a dessert, and there are lots of pictures and WAY too much of my commentary.  First, though, can anyone explain this?

Who puts a shaker lid on a jar of bay leaves?  What purpose could this possibly serve??
I wanted to make chicken adobo.  I don't know why.  The name came to mind for reasons I no longer remember (I made it way back in May), and it was fun to say, so I looked up this recipe.  It's pretty straightforward, which is a great selling point for any recipe.  Mix everything but the chicken together, add the chicken, marinate a while, then dump the whole mess into a great big pot (wheeee, cast iron!) and cook it.  Serve with rice.  And in my case, flan (come back next week, you'll dig it).

cooking
The sauce is a whole lot of vinegar, but the vinegar taste cooks out along the way.  The final result tastes good, and the sauce can be dumped in the bowl for rice to sop.  It's easy, but it's pretty basic.  The most exciting part is saying "adobo," but as I learned along the way, Filipino adobo isn't even "true" adobo, so I may have to find another recipe to try to see what that's like.
cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment