summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Shrimp Creole

I first made this about a year ago, and before I allowed the Chief Taster to try hers, I warned that I hoped she wouldn't like it.  "Why not?"  "Because I can't afford to buy this much shrimp again."  After we started eating, she declared that she would knock down an old lady to eat it again.  I'm pretty sure she was kidding, but I've seen her take candy from actual babies, so who's to know?

the "holy trinity": onion, garlic, bell pepper.  Also some celery.
I can usually find peeled, deveined frozen shrimp at the grocery, which saves me a couple hours of work, because I'm not good at that part.

veggies, tomato stuff, seasonings.  I added a dash or two of hot pepper sauce, too.  It is Creole, after all.
When I made it this time, it was supposed to be for a birthday dinner (months before this post went up), but nobody we invited could make it, so it was just the two of us and a great big pot of delicious shrimp.  I hate when that happens. [delighted giggling]

gray shrimp: not cooked.

pink shrimp: cooked.  Easy!
When it's all done, serve it over rice.

Fun variation: I've also made a thicker creole sauce, and used it with grated parmesan and cooked shrimp to make a creole pizza.  I biffed the crust that time, but it tasted so good otherwise that I didn't care much.

No comments:

Post a Comment