summary

Cooking without a safety net

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Manly meals

Whenever I make something from the Sacajawea Cookbook, I feel like I should be wearing buckskin and have either an axe or a long-bore rifle over my shoulder.  It's all so manly, dammit!  (maybe because most recipes start with "one pound of meat")

This is one of the best examples of that.  Granted, I didn't have any dear handy, so I used beef, but that's ok.  It even says so in the recipe.

"start with one pound of beef," onion, oil, and bay leaves. I always tend to use more bay leaves than the recipe suggests, which is why I had to buy more of them today.
As is my custom, when a stew or soup recipe calls for a large pot, I employ my Lodge Combo Cooker.  It was just large enough, and adds to the manliness of anything you cook.  I have to say "manly" a lot, because I mostly stay in the apartment and cook things, and I need to remind people that it's ok and perfectly masculine.  By "people," I mean "me."

There are also lots of veggies, which probably means it's healthy.
When the beef is cooked, add all the veggies, broth, tomatoes. beans (also manly), and seasonings.

You really can't fit much more in this pot.  It would be too manly.
The recipe suggested serving it with Sunny Corn Biscuits (same book), and I've never in my life turned down biscuits, so I worked up a batch of those, too.  Fun fact: if you don't have a biscuit cutter, you can make one from a tuna can.  Just punch a hole in the bottom to let air escape.  I've had mine for years, and it makes HUGE biscuits, which is another benefit.

I was excited to try these, but they were not as good as I had hoped.  I blame the sub-par sunflower seeds, which were neither roasted, nor salted.

The Chief Taster's manly dinner, in her pretty little bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment